Sunday
15 August 2010
14 Comments

Excuses, Excuses – But lots of news to come!

Soo – it’s been a seriously long time since I’ve been posting but that doesn’t mean nothing has happened, quite the contrary. I’ll try to keep the updates separate but to summarise, I’ve been finishing a couple of websites and I’ve finally got the Light and Land website live! I’ve also nearly launched Joe Cornish’s new website (last few products being added). On the film front, I’ve finally got my hands on a fully automated Jobo developing machine (and flooded the office whilst plumbing it in) and a drum scanner! Me and a few people from the lf-photo forum have been running a scanning comparison and I’ve worked out how to get the best out of the Epson scanner in the process (with surprisingly good results). I’ve also been playing with all of the colour films you can use now you’ve had to revert to sheet film (if you’re a large format photographer that is). On the general side, I’ve been using the Lee RF75 kit which is working really well (and fits on my LF gear too!) and I’m starting to use the Canon Tilt Shift lens too, which is a smashing bit of kit and opens up lots of opportunities.. I’ve also been off the the Yorkshire Wolds with Paul Moon and Jon Brock and have to say it’s a place that rewards investigation. I’ve also been playing with the new Intuos, have started to use Capture One and have discovered the best noise reduction software in the world ever! (for film anyway – I’ve yet to try it on digital). The big news is yet to come though, I’m announcing a new business venture in September and it’s a biggy – landscape photography related and lots of new content..

I’ll write a little post about each of these bits of photography related fun over the next few weeks and keep you posted on the business venture too..

Comments (skip to bottom)

14 Responses to “Excuses, Excuses – But lots of news to come!”

1. On April 8, 2011 at 10:07 am Tim responded with... #

Funny, I was thinking of you with your epson-v-drum-scanner a wee while back.

It occurs to me there’s a lot one can do to get more out of a flatbed scanner; not just vuescan with multi-sampling multi-pass scanning at various exposures, but also utilities like enfuse/enblend could work with multiple scanned images offset a few pixels apart (nudge the holders) to improve sharpness beyond the ability of any one scan (ImageFuser makes a great frontend mac app; theoretically there’s ale for extreme commandline hacking if you have the CPU and RAM for it).

Of course these things could also work with drum-scanned images too – results would be awesome but might also take an awesome amount of time to render :)

2. On April 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm Douglas Griffin responded with... #

Sounds fascinating, Tim – looking forward to seeing Joe Cornish’s new website, and intrigued by your description of the new business venture!

Regards,
    Doug.

3. On May 8, 2011 at 12:43 am Tom responded with... #

Holy cow. !’m Just now selling my Jobo ATL-2300. They are amazing. Mine is actually Minty.
    Which one did you get? How do you like her? Filters right????
    I’m using a Jobo Water Panel on mine and it’s bang on. Good luck with her.
    Tom

4. On May 8, 2011 at 7:33 am Tim Parkin responded with... #

@Tim – I was thinking about stacking for a couple of types of shot. Thanks for the link to ale.

@Doug – Thanks Doug. I’ll keep you posted :-)

@Tom – I got the ATL-2300, also with the board :-)

Out of interest, how much are you selling yours for?

5. On May 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm David O responded with... #

Hi Tim – good to see you back. Would be great to hear/see your thoughts on how to get best out of the Epson scanner. Having recently purchased the V750 (price wise, I simply couldn’t justify anything else!) for my MF strips (NB I couldn’t quite persuade myself to go full hog to LF so decided that I would indulge in a bit of purgatory of MF – a sort of mezzanine level between digital and 5×4), I’ve done quite a bit of testing myself but I know you understand this stuff better than I do (!), so your thoughts on the point would be most welcome. Would be interested in your thoughts on the T/S lens too. Happy blogging!

Good luck with the new ventures.

Rgds

David

6. On July 8, 2011 at 11:59 am Jane Goodall responded with... #

ooh u tease

7. On July 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm adamp responded with... #

Hi Tim, welcome back! I too would be very interested in your thoughts on the Epson. Like David O, I scan MF strips and seem to get decent results, though I suspect that I "could do better" (memories of school reports…). I have yet to try the different height adjusters – I misplaced mine almost the day I opened the box some two years ago, but miraculously found them the other day. I’m just back from the Pyrenees with a few satisfying images to work on (b&w too!), so I suspect that there will be some happy winter hours to come with the scanner. Have fun, and do stop what Jane calls this teasing…

8. On November 8, 2011 at 10:58 am Sam Gibbons responded with... #

Glad to read that your back ! Like the Light and Land website…it looks fab btw.

All the best

Sam

9. On November 8, 2011 at 11:05 am Tim Parkin responded with... #

@David O – There will definitely be an epson scanner article, if not a small ebook

@Jane – of course!

@Adam – Do you have the better scanning holder? Wet mounting is quite useful to be honest (contrary to my original opinion)

@Sam – thanks for the support! Still some things to do on the L&L website but I’m happy how it’s come out in general

10. On December 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm Michael Paynton responded with... #

Hi Tim,

Good to talk to you the other week, I look forward with much anticipation to the epson article.

Regards,

Michael.

11. On December 8, 2011 at 11:17 pm clarice responded with... #

4 months and no blog entry, You now have about 5 viewers left Tim! You should know better being in web development …..If you dont feed them, then the birdies fly away. But seriously, looking forward to info on your epson scanner findings, Cheers- Clarice.

12. On January 8, 2012 at 7:07 am Tim Parkin responded with... #

Thanks Clarice, suitably chastised now :-)

13. On July 8, 2012 at 3:16 pm Jim Parren responded with... #

Hi Tim
    Quick question are you saying that C One is the best noise red software you have found for film?

Jim

14. On July 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm Tim Parkin responded with... #

Hi Jim,

No I wouldn’t say it’s the best, not since using Imagenomic’s Noiseware… that is the best noise reduction plugin I’ve used – ever – by a long stretch.

It isn’t in the ‘reduce it till it plasticises’ category, but it does do a very friendly, film grain aware approach that removes ugly noise but leaves texture. – well worth a try

Add your response